1. CHICKEN AVOCADO LIME SOUP
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped green onions (including whites, mince the whites)
2 jalapeños, seeded and minced (leave seeds if you want soup spicy, omit if you don't like heat)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
3 medium avocados, peeled, cored and diced
Tortilla chips, monterrey jack cheese, sour cream for serving (optional)
1. In a large pot heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add green onions and jalapenos and saute until tender, about 2 minutes, adding garlic during last 30 seconds of sauteing.
2. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, cumin, season with salt and pepper to taste and add chicken breasts. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken has cooked through 10 - 15 minutes (cook time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts).
3. Reduce burner to warm heat, remove chicken from pan and let rest on a cutting board 5 minutes, then shred chicken and return to soup. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
4. Add avocados to soup just before serving (if you don't plan on serving the soup right away, I would recommend adding the avocados to each bowl individually, about 1/2 an avocado per serving). Serve with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream if desired.
2. EASY WHITE BEAN, KALE AND SAUSAGE SOUP
1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
12 ounces sausage links ( I recommend Kramers Italian Sausage, the hot if you like a kick!)
5 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups chicken broth or stock, divided
8 ounces kale, tough stems removed and finely chopped/shredded
1 small bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
4 (15-ounce) cans white beans (such as Cannellini, Great Northern, or Navy), rinsed and drained
A few dashes hot pepper sauce
Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Shredded Parmesan cheese OR crumbled feta cheese, for garnish
1. Place a large pot over medium heat. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in pot, swirl to coat, and add sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 to 7 minutes or until the sausage is browned. Remove sausage to a paper towel-lined plate, pour a bit more oil in the center of the pot, and add minced garlic. Stir and cook for about 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant and light golden brown.
2. Pour 4 cups chicken broth/stock into pot and stir in kale, bay leaf, and garlic powder. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Place about 1/3 of the drained beans in a blender or food processor along with the remaining 1 cup chicken broth/stock. Puree until smooth.
4. Once kale is tender, add whole beans, pureed beans, and browned sausage to the pot.
5. Season with dashes of hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper, to taste. Stir and simmer for a few minutes until heated through. Remove bay leaf before serving.
3. PORK CHILI VERDE
2 lbs. pork, diced
1 c. onion, chopped
14 oz. chicken broth
1½ tsp. garlic powder
2 ½ Tbsp. chicken stock
1 tsp. celery salt
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
½ tsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. cumin
½ Tbsp. jalapeno
4 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
½ Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. green Tabasco sauce
10 oz. green enchilada sauce
27 oz. canned green chiles, chopped or diced
8 oz. canned green chiles, pureed
1-2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
½ tsp. salt
1. Brown pork and drain. Add onion & chicken broth (will not cover meat). Simmer 1 hour, stirring often.
2. Combine garlic powder, chicken stock, celery salt, cornstarch, oregano, cumin, jalapeno, cilantro, chili powder, and green Tabasco sauce. Simmer 1 hour stirring often to avoid sticking.
3. Add green enchilada sauce and stir. Simmer ½ hour. Add chopped green chiles and cook for 15 minutes. Add pureed green chiles, white beans and salt to taste (about ½ tsp).
Serve with cheese, sour cream, chips and/or flour tortillas.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS: Brown pork and drain. Saute onion and add to slow cooker with meat. Add chicken broth and cook on low heat for 3 hours. Add remaining ingredients and cook additional 2 hours on low heat.
4. CURRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND LENTIL STEW
1 onion - small dice
2 large carrots - peeled, small dice
3 cloves garlic - minced
1 t. ginger - minced
1 T. tomato paste
1 T. curry powder
1/2 c. dry lentils
2 1/2 c. vegetable broth
1 butternut squash - peeled, medium dice
2 Fuji apples - medium dice (I left my skin on)
2 c. fresh spinach leaves
pinch cayenne pepper
salt and pepper as needed
2 T. olive oil
1. In a large pot heat the oil to medium high heat. Add the onions and carrots and cover with a lid. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent. Keeping the lid on will sweat the vegetables, making them tender without caramelizing!
2. Add the ginger, garlic, tomato paste, curry powder, and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the lentils and broth and bring to a boil. Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 25 minutes.
3. Add the apples and squash, stir, and cover/simmer for 20 minutes or until fork tender. You may want to add 1/4 c. more broth after adding the apples/squash.
Taste for seasoning. You can add a pinch of cayenne for spice and some more salt. Before serving, stir in the spinach until wilted.