1. CRANBERRY ORANGE QUINOA SALAD
1 cup quinoa
2 cup water
2 large leaves of kale
2 cup cranberries, fresh
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp honey
2 TBS orange zest, grated
6 small oranges
1/4 cup chopped mixed nuts
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
1/4 cup mint, fresh, chopped
1. Cook quinoa according to package.
2. Finely chop 2 stems of kale.
3. Pulse in a food processor to coarsely chop: 2 cup cranberries, fresh, 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil, and 1 tsp honey
4. When quinoa is done, transfer to a mixing bowl and mix with chopped kale. Allow to cool to room temperature.
5. Stir in with the quinoa: 2 TBS orange zest , grated
6. Peel and coarsely chop: 6 small oranges
7. When quinoa is cooled completely, gently stir in the oranges and cranberry mixture.
8. Stir in: 1/4 cup chopped mixed nuts, 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds, 1/4 cup mint, fresh , chopped
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. ACORN SQUASH WITH WALNUTS AND CRANBERRY
1 Acorn Squash, cut in half
½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
½ cup cranberries, frozen or fresh
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
Turn your oven to 375F.
Combine walnuts, cranberries and brown sugar. Toss to combine.
Cut each acorn squash in half. Remove and discard seeds.
Split the mixture between two halves of the squash. Top with 1 tablespoon butter each half.
Place in a baking dish, loosely cover with foil and bake in a for 1 hour 15 minutes, to 1 hour 30 minutes, or until fork inserted into the squash goes in easily.
Remove from the oven, place on a plate and serve right away.
3. MAPLE ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH WALNUTS, BLUE CHEESE AND CRANBERRIES
1 1/2 pounds Brussels Sprouts, rinse & pat dry
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
1/3 cup Dried Cranberries
1/3 cup crumbled Blue Cheese or Feta Cheese
1/2 cup chopped, Toasted Walnuts
Fresh Cranberries for garnish
Pre heat oven to 400 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Cut brussels sprouts in quarters, trimming off tough white tough end.
Toss brussels sprouts with olive oil, maple syrup, garlic salt & pepper. Line a rimmed baking sheet with tin foil. Roast for about 20-25 minutes until brussels sprouts are cooked through and caramelized. Flip sprouts with tongs once during roasting time.
While the brussels sprouts are cooking heat walnuts in a skillet on medium heat for about 10 minutes until they are golden brown & fragrant. Mix frequently so they don't burn.
Remove brussels sprouts from the oven. Let them cool a bit. Transfer to a bowl and toss with walnuts, blue cheese and dried cranberries. Season to to taste with garlic salt and pepper. Top with fresh cranberry garnish.
4. BLACK BEAN, POMEGRANATE AND AVOCADO SALSA
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups pomegranate seeds
1 small jalapeño, minced, seeds removed
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 large avocado, diced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Tortilla chips, for serving
1. In a medium bowl, combine black beans, pomegranate seeds, jalapeño, onion, cilantro, avocado, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Gently stir. Serve with tortilla chips.
Note-This salsa is best the day is made.