1. HASH BROWN EGG NESTS WITH AVOCADO
15 oz. frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 medium eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1 tablespoon Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
2 avocados, sliced and chilled
Mix hash browns, salt, pepper, olive oil and 1 cup Cheddar cheese in a mixing bowl
Grease the muffin pan and divide hash brown mixture. Use your fingers to pack them tightly and shape them into nests
Bake at 425 degrees F or until the edges have browned and the cheese has melted, about 15 minutes
Crack a medium egg into each nest and season with salt and pepper to taste
Top with crumbled bacon, 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese and parsley
Bake at 350 degrees F until the egg whites set, about 13 to 16 minutes
Let it cool, gently slide a knife along the edges and use a fork to lift it out of the pan
Dish and serve with chilled avocado slices
2. BLUEBERRY LEMON YOGURT CAKE
1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons lemon zest, about 2 lemons
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 cup blueberries
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, strained
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease loaf pan, line the bottom and longer sides with parchment paper and grease the paper with butter.
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
In a large bowl combine the yogurt, sugar eggs, lemon zest and vanilla, whisk until combined.
Whisk the flour mixture into the liquid mixture until well combined.
Fold in the oil with a rubber spatula until thoroughly mixed***, then add the blueberries (lightly coat the blueberries in flour prior to adding, it prevents them from sinking).
Pour the batter in the the pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, checking at the 50 minute mark until toothpick comes out clean in center.
Remove from oven to baking rack and cool for about 10 minutes leaving it in the pan, remove cake from pan with the parchment handles and let cool another 10 minutes or so until just warm.
Whisk together the confectioners sugar, lemon juice and zest until combined, pour over cake.
3. EASY FRENCH TOAST BAKE
1 loaf sourdough bread
2 c milk
1/2 c heavy cream
3/4 c sugar
2 TB vanilla
1/2 c flour
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c butter cold, cut into pieces
Cut loaf into cubes and place evenly in a greased 9x13 pan.
In a bowl, mix together eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar and vanilla. Pour evenly over bread.
Cover your pan with Saran Wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
Cut in butter with this mixture until crumbly and place in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight as well.
Take pan and Ziploc out when ready to bake. Sprinkle crumbly mixture evenly over the bread.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on how soft you like it.
4. HAM, CHEESE & SPINACH PUFFS RECIPE
2 sheets puff pastry
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup warm milk
1 pinch of salt
Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1/2 lb cooked ham, diced
2 cups fresh spinach, rinsed and chopped
1 cup Swiss cheese, grated
Download your Ham cheese & spinach puffs recipe card to save! Includes nutritional values.
1. Cut the puff pastry sheets into 5-inch (13cm) squares. Set aside in the refrigerator. Pre-heat your oven to 400°F(200°C).
2. For the bechamel sauce: Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Add flour and salt; cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture becomes pale golden with a slightly nutty aroma.
3. Pour warm milk in 2 steps, stirring constantly with wooden spoon and whisk until smooth. Cook the mixture, stirring constantly along the bottom of the saucepan, until boiling, about 7 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to low. Simmer gently until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. If you still have lumps, use your immersion blender!
5. Stir in spinach and cook for 1 minute. Add ham and cheese and stir well. Set aside.
6. Arrange the puff pastry squares on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Dollop 1 or 2 tablespoons of the bechamel mixture, top with grated cheese and close the pockets by folding the corners on top.
7. Make an egg wash using an egg and 1 coffee spoon of cold water. Brush the puff pastry and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until puffed and golden. Serve immediately with a crisp salad.